Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Project Review:The Phantom 2040-PART XXXVII-Grids

A Perspective Grid Layout Guide I created for a Gliding PAN shot.


A Perspective Grid Layout Guide I created for a standard triple wide PAN shot.


A Perspective Grid Layout Guide I created for the curved space station for Sean-One in a wide PAN shot.


An overhead view with extensive curved perspective. The animators use the grid to plot moves as well.


A Perspective Grid Layout Guide I created for a Zoom and PAN shot.

Phantom 2040-PART XXXVII
Perspective Grid Sketching

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.

In this 37th post on the Phantom 2040 TV Animation series I worked on in the early 90's , here I have posted a variety of underlay grids I create to block out the background layout designs.

I have taught Curvilinear Perspective and having a bit of curve to the drawings gives it an effect like a fish eye lens rather than using a 3 point "faked" perspective which will severely distort the images when you use extreme angles in your views. I taught the teams in France, and South Korea , and Vancouver in using Ship Curves and French Curves to Illustrate these fish eye views.

Above are some small layout grids I blocked for main sequences from the show since our vendor merely Xeroxed up the boards and painted them directly without a layout sketch, so we needed to have very accurate storyboards to ensure our low budget show would have a good look to it. I think we did it. Animators also used the grids to properly foreshorten the characters in these scenes as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment