Friday, March 18, 2011

Project Review: Zu Warriors

The finished Zu Warriors Movie Poster for the Re-release with my 3D Illustrations used.


Here is the Final Wings set I created that went to finish.


This variation had the main character coming at us so I spread the Knife Wings out.


Another version with a "heart" shaped negative space in between the wings.


An ornate flying boomerang I built for the Poster Comps.


I did a close up of the Yin-Yang Sword hilt details for the Poster as well.


Sometimes a quick 3D illustrations saves loads of time as with these little posts to stand on were a fast addition to the project as well.


Zu Warriors

Client: Miramax Films via BLT and Associates.
Art Director: Alon Amir.
Project Date: Winter 2001

Almost ten years back one of my early Theatrical Advertising finishes over at BLT and Associates was the America re-release of Zu Warriors , a Chinese Fantasy Film with some very beautiful visuals that needed some of my 3D Illustrations done for the poster.

The film was a few years old and I rebuilt some key assets for a One Sheet for the American and Spanish releases. One of the main characters has a set of wings made out of these knife blades, so I built them out in 3D and posed them into various forms for the different comp ideas, until one went to finish. I also did a close up of the main sword that is used to defeat the enemy with the Yin-Yang hilt. There was this disc shaped flying boomerang knife that I built as well. And sometimes I even have to do some smaller parts like the rock columns that the Warriors stand on. A fun design exercise.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment