Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Project Review: Race to Atlantis!

The Ride-Film OPENS with you on a giant crossbow.

The main character fly's in on a winged vehicle as the cables stretch.

The cables SNAP sending parts into Camera.

We shoot forward towards the rider just missing him.

As we fly into the air we approach the top of a large dome we are in and a window...


RACE TO ATLANTIS
PART I

Client: Rhythm and Hues.
Art Director: na.
Project Date Summer 1996.

Back in 1996 right before I began my long stay at the Walt Disney Company, Rhythm and Hues[ R-n-H], hired me again to do the storyboards for the 3D ride film they were creating for Las Vegas. Doing a 3D ride-film storyboard for the IMAX format has some very specific constraints that need consideration in the way the boards are done and laid out. In IMAX you need a lot of time to make a full 90 degree turn so the audience does not get motion sick from too fast a 3D move. As a 3D Designer I blocked out the entire ride in Plan view first then we timed it according to the ride length and milestones and I designed from there. All in all I did 114 frames in which this is the first 10 frames in the series. I do not fully remember everything going on but I will put explanations below as I remember for each frame.

You can view PART II here.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment