Monday, March 28, 2011

Rapid VIS[visualization]: Fast Sketching PART I

A quick sketch of a Robot "boy" I did for our family drawing lessons.


A robot with an "unhappyface" on his chest as a second read graphic.


A balding butler with a wineglass character design as a Rapid Vis two minute design.


Ned is a contractor over at the "Home Despot" that was a two minute sketch design exercise.


A Rapid Vis sketch that is just over one minute with almost no under-drawing and the lines are laid down as finals the first time as if drawn with ink. It forces you to commit to your design fast.


A baby dinosaur that is part T-Rex, part Velociraptor, and part Brontosaurus.


Rapid Vis [Visualization]
Fast Sketching PART I

This is the first part in a new series on "Rapid Vis" techniques. Rapid Visualization, or Rapid Vis is the process of really fast sketching a unique design in just 1 to 3 minutes. It is a great exercise that I learned while attending Art Center, in that you had to come up with the concept and execute it in sometimes less than one minute.

I have taught drawing and sketching at various levels including discussions with High School Art classes as well as when I worked at Disney Interactive I had a Perspective sketching workshop I regularly ran for the various teams there interested, so it comes natural for me to teach Art and Design and what you see above are some recent examples from my drawing lessons I am doing with my 5 year old daughter. She will both copy side by side, as well as trace my designs to learn.

The above examples represent a few sketches I have done for the family drawing lessons I have here at the home studio. Some have an under-drawing and can be seen in the sketch itself, and some are a single line committed sketch technique like what can be seen in the above dinosaurs. Those are a bit tougher as you drop a line on the page as if it is ink. no erasing, so it is more of a challenge for me to do these sketches, but they really exercise your designer inside the most.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment