Monday, February 20, 2012

Project Review: SALT: PART III-3D Logo Exploration 2008

 A 3D design based on vectors provided to me by Chris A. Hawkins for this Sub Surface Lit example with the Soviet themed Red wax material.

 This design uses three plates high for the triple edge highlight in brushed metal, and the face is a bit curved as well to get the nice highlight in the proper place.

 I did a deep extrusion here, but I like the thin decal look I did above as well, as an alternate.

 The hammer and sickle for the "A" was a great solve in my opinion from Chris for this design, with gold and red materials.

 A bright graphic version of the logo with the "star" used for the "A", this was a thin extrusion version. I added the neon around the star to be an animation element for AV-MGFX.

 A deep extrusion on the above vector using the procedural cement-metal material I designed in Dark Tree. Big bevels!

 A Single-Point-Beveled[SPB] font here with a warm to cool lighting on just the extremities. This was to be an animated face in from black idea for a living one sheet.

 A SPB built into a tube with some mild ribbed design elements put on the red glass material.

A round tube built font with tech shapes cut into the object all the way through with some internal metal accents as well.

3D Logo exploration

Client: Columbia Pictures via The Cimarron Group.
Art Director(s): Chris A. Hawkins.
Project Date: Winter 2008.

In my third posting here on my design blog, for the 3D design work that I did for the film, SALT in the winter of 2008 while still running the 3D Department at Cimarron. Today I focus on logos for one of the three main Art Directors I did work for in the Poster Design department there, Chris A. Hawkins.

With this added set of logo you can see that I had a very wide range to play in for the film. I also had a full day to do these so I could really finesse the details and the lighting. I have glass and metal, procedural-textures, lots of single point beveled text, that is fully hand modeled, and some Sub-Surface-Scattering in there too since I had the time[ long renders to get right!].
Total Logo count that I provided to them was, One-hundred fifty-five[ 155] designs, though they presented maybe five to the client at the end, I always love the process so I understand the drastic cuts needed. Young designers take note, that 5 out of 155 is the norm for a firm to cut down your delivery.

You can view PART I here.
You can view PART II here.
You can also view the KGB badge I made here.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment