Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Project Review:The Phantom 2040: PART CI[101st]-Overlay Character Designs

 I did quite a few alternate for the B.I.O.T.'s[ robots] from the TV show, and sometimes it was merely a costume change as seen above, and here, and here.

 A Minor modification to Kit Walker[ aka.The Phantom] I tweaked the roll on the collar of his standard coat he wore in the series.

 I designed the "Dry-as-a-bone' Aussie styled riding coat you see under the overlay, but this sketch was for some hidden chrome armor he wore underneath it. You can see it colored out here.


 Here we  have a pivotal sketch for The Phantom, as up until here I had very organic cuffs here, and here, and Hearst reps from NYC came out to LA, and wanted me to go back a bit and do a blend between the old cuff style and mine so here is a sketch with the new blasters I designed and these modified cuffs and belt overlay designs that went to final here.


Phantom 2040
PART CI [101st]
 Overlay Character design sketches

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.


This is my 101st post my work from the TV animated series, The Phantom 2040 from in the early ninety's, and today I have posted a few more development design sketches I did as overlay work.

Every artist does overlays, as these allow you to build upon the prior design work, and make the needed changes in a quick production fashion, without the need to start over completely.

I had a few rolls of tracing as well as small cut up velum sheets to overlay characters always by my side at Hearst Animation when I worked on the show, and were used in cases like this.

Today I have The Phantom himself, a BIOT, Guran's armor design, and a quick tweak to Kits coat.

When you do production work with a bunch of 'cooks'[ like 9 bosses!] , you must always be ready to change your designs, and being able to separate yourself as an Artist/Designer, from your work is vital so you can get it all done with a proper attitude.

If they did not like the collar, do another and move on, it's just a collar...
Everyone will at one time or another throw a bad pitch!

If you are a FAN of The Phantom 2040, and on FACEBOOK, there is a group for that....  here.

There is a TAG on the list to the RIGHT for other Phantom 2o4o entry's, but you can click this as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment