Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Napkin Sketching and Doodles: PART XI-More Character Design Sketches.

 This little abstract 3D design was to be a sculpt I was going to execute in 3D as a soft sculpt.


 A dude with shaved sides of his head and a blocky head proportion.


 I was really focusing on the volumes in this design with all the shading. Some Designs are mere line-work, this was volumetric.



A Triangle was the basis for the proportions on this chap. Not sure what the floating "dot" off the chin was a goatee?

Sketching Part XI
More Character Design Napkin Sketches
 In this eleventh installment of the Napkin Sketches, Drawings, and Doodles I do during times of relaxation I have posted more designs I have done for various characters while sitting down in Pasadena's Old Towne.

Character design has all the qualities of any other design project, in that you want to identify a theme or look to the character, but what makes characters so different is the emotions they evoke when being critiqued. Characters come to life, so what the eyes look like, says more about a tone than the design itself.

I have found that when designing a character you must be ready for a very different kind of design adjustment. Apart form the starting point, is is round thin tall melted etc, every design still must take into consideration what the actor must do. Will it talk, dance, or just be static virtual photo. All this is considered at the design time, and even a  still image of a character will be made alive by the viewer when they see it, it is natural to any character, especially anyone they can relate to.

As a side I am an avid "people watcher", and every character I draw in public is inspired by some real life person I just saw before I begin the design.

Draw often!

You can view the other parts as follows:

PART I

PART II

PART III

PART IV

PART V

PART VI

PART VII

PART VIII

PART IX 
PART X

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment