Friday, December 5, 2014

Project Review: The Flash 2014-3D Logo Exploration-PART I

For the first 3D Logo Design I did for The Flash, I went almost just an extrusion, though there is a micro bevel on it with block colors, flat extrusion and a bit of motion blur[speed].
 
In the next version, I put a very heavy bevel on the type, and dropped the camera down below The Flash title treatment.

 For this my third design, I did the red in a ruby glass material, and mirrored the previous file to get the back bevels to show inside the type.

I took the thick beveled type and replaced the material with a red car paint one and added a slight gold glow around it to match the lightning which was dine in amber glass for this pass.

This was a triple stack of three logos with graduating larger outlines to get the triple highlight on the edges.

This was a Single Point Bevels look[ SPB] that I did next. A bit more time as it is hand built.

I replace the red with glass again, placed it on a glossy black surface and moved the camera up to center on The Flash logo.

 This design is a wedge extrusion as I taper the extrusion to a point from the side creating a 'knife-edge' Logo look to the font.
 
I added a black holding device in this 3D Flash logo and pulled the wedge out a bit to box in the end in this alt.


 Here is the logo with a chrome lip all around the main title with some motion blur at the italic angle to match the font.

Project Review
The Flash 2014
3D Logo Exploration-PART I

Client: The CW via Leroy and Rose.
Creative Direction: Melchior Lamy.
Project Date: April 2014.

I've been doing work for Leroy and Rose for a bit, so when they called me to do some fast 3D logos for a Superhero property, The Flash, I was on board for a quick one day turn around project. I've done 1000's of 3D logos and many for superhero films, so I was more than ready to go on this.

These projects are very typical as to how fast you need to turn around a design for Theatrical Print Advertising. So in this, PART I today, I cover about half of them, or ten designs that are all based on just one vector file.

The Flash was redeveloped for TV and the 2D logo design was locked from the client side, but they wanted me to do my 3D pass on the font to deliver a set of logos for dimensional proposals, so off I went.

I was given one day on this gig, so I hustled to create 19 designs in the time frame we were limited to. As will all 2D Logos, there are endless ways to make them 3D, from simple extrusions, bevels and fully modeling the text and bending and curving it.

I did as much as I could in the short one day, and was pleased with the results rendered and delivered.
Look for a PART II in weeks to come.



Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment