Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Project Review The Phantom 2040 PART CXV [115th] Background Design Mini Layouts and Grids

I often included a plan-view of the scene to help set-up the action as I did in this little truck-in PAN shot from The Phantom.


 A double move shot focusing on a computer in a DATA lab.


Here is a grid layout for Sagan Cruz in her apartment. You can see the pedestal bed on the right.


 Here is that rough gridded out for inside the Phantom 2040s Lair at a Computer center.


Project Review
The Phantom 2040
PART CXV [115th]
Background Design Mini Layouts and Grids

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.



For my Tuesday 2D post this week, I have put up some added background design drawings from The Phantom 2040, a TV Animated Sci-Fi show from the early to mid 90's that I Art Directed for Hearst Animation.

This is my 115th posting for the show, as I was responsible for the look of the show so I had my hand in a whole lot of designs.

In order to get a better perspective background "product' from my resources, I chose to grid out a huge amount of the layouts to give the artist a grid to build over for the finals.
Though I trained the teams in curvilinear perspective, we did not always get the desired results, so I did these mini velums for the background layout artists, painters, and storyboard artist teams we employed to get the look even closer.

I have mentioned this before but designing the production itself, is the legitimate job of the Art Director, and for me doing this little "assist' ,was a key part in our product to get the look we achieved, even though we had the lowest budget at the time for any TV series in animation.[ 1/3rd of BATMAN]

 If you are a FAN of The Phantom 2040, and on FACEBOOK, there is a group for that....  here.

There is a TAG on the list to the RIGHT for other Phantom 2o4o entry's, but you can click this as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment