Friday, April 4, 2014

3D Stock Model Build Review: Payphone built for online sales 2005.

The final 3D Virtual Model I made of a typical Payphone found in the USA.
[ If you can find one any more!]

 
 This was not build as a subdivision model except for the handset, as I was still practicing the technique at the time almost a decade back.


 A close up shot on the keypad area. The letters are a bump, however if I was to build today I would model these in like I did on the 3D #2 pencil here.


 The handset is the only Sub-D asset and this has the smoothing on.


 A lower angled 3/4 side shot shows the cast metal krinkle finish case built in three parts as the original.


 The Wireframe shot of this 3D Model of a Payphone.


 A close up shot of the lower section of the payphone with the coin return slot and trap door.


 The wire frame shows the type is a simple Boolean cut into the object.


 A bit of a Birds-Eye overhead view of the payphone model I made. The model is perfect of any 3D Illustration or 3D animation needed a good close up piece.


 The Polygon ambient render of the surface.


 An exploded view of the parts I built for this design.



 An exploded view of the Phone model in Polygon Render to show the build.
[ Non-Sub-D[quads]sans the handset].


3D Stock Model Build Review
Payphone built for online sales 2005.

Client: The Cimarron Group for Stock 3D Model Sales.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date: January 2005.

In 2005 I was still in-house as the 3D Design Director at The Cimarron Group, and I regularly did both 3D Illustration, as well as 3D Animation for the print and AV division, in which I built out highly detailed 3D Models, and today I am reviewing a 3D model I made specifically for online sales, something I would do during down-time.

Today I review a build I did of a typical payphone that could be found on every street in the USA in the last decade. I grew up with these as this was before the advent of cell phones, so this is a design that most people over 30 are very familiar with.

This presents a modeling challenge as many people have a close up experience with the design so any deviation or shortcut to it will show that it is a virtual model so I attempted to match the phone parts as exact as I could. Many of the 3D Models I saw online at the time had shortcuts in the parts as the keypad was flat keys rather than dished like the original keys are.

This model is still online for sale by my past employer The Cimarron Group and can be purchased here.

I will continue showcasing many of the stock 3D models I have from various companys I have prepared them for in future posts, so enjoy!


Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment