Thursday, November 4, 2010

Project Review:Phantom 2040- PART XXIX-Layout Art Direction

The first Layout Art Direction Page showing the typical issues faced with three different Layout vendors in three countries.


Here I took the Japanese Animators background style and curved it to match the show as well.

The Backgrounds were getting very Cartoony so I re-did most major backgrounds myself.


The "Vine" freeways were in most shows so a typical look was in order.


Another issue was getting the views more dynamic so we had really "tight" storyboards as some vendors simply Xeroxed the storyboard and blew it up for the layout.


Adding Fish-eye and curves to each background was key.


Tall and Thin was the established look I pushed to give the Characters a proper world to live in as Peter's character proportions were 12-15 heads tall.


A curved lens was added via curvilinear perspective to as many backgrounds as we could get.

Phantom 2040-PART XXIX
Layout Art Direction

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.

In this 29th post on the Phantom 2040 TV Animation series I worked on in the early 90's , here I have posted my Art Direction sheets that were done while I was in Canada with our Layout vendor helping create a style booklet for the layout artists to follow.

Each Art Direction page I created takes a typical layout and compares it to my corrected Layout below. I also took these sheets to South Korea to get translated for the Animation Studio Sei Young/ Anitel to supply their workers with. We also bought ship curves and French Curves so the layout teams could correctly add in the "fish-eye" to the layouts.


Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment