Thursday, November 18, 2010

Project Review: The Phantom 2040-PART XXXII-Wide Layouts

A Wide shot of the Gym from Show 117 with Overlay.

An UP angle in the same Gym from the next scene.


Phantom 2040-PART XXXII

Wide Background Layout Design

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.

In this 32nd post on the Phantom 2040 TV Animation series I worked on in the early 90's , here I have posted some wide backgrounds I did as a freelancer for my own project. It was a situation where I could assign freelance projects to myself as Art Director and 1099 my employer for the side work, since I do not do OT without pay.

This hits upon a theme I POUND into my art and design friends, is to NEVER work for free. [Pro Bono is not Spec;I will do that]

In a 40 Hr week if I could not finish all tasks needed I assigned the remainder to freelancers[ including myself] as needed.

These were both from Show 117 in the first season and both were fish eye curvilinear perspective shots as they were very wide camera moves, and the curved lens helped the look we wanted to achieve. Also when you design for yourself ,it goes very fast, so I was four times the speed of most other freelancers I used, so consequentially it ended up a lower cost for met to do them.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment