Here is the final Key Art for Penny Dreadful using the 3D Scorpion Illustration I was hired to do.
The test image I did.
The final 3D RAW delivery was a multi-pass render with a Matte for the shandow to be dropped into the Key Art Photography quickly by finisher Paho Marsh.
I did a transluscent Sub-Surface Scatter render of the Scorpions as they have many areas that posses this trait in the material as a pass. I rendered over the placeholder bust as the skin showed thru the Scorpion bodies.
Here for the Dark black render I did not need the shadows or the bust so I rendered this out as the second pass.
The Matte Shadow provided the finisher with a drop on shadow for the photography to blend it seamlessly into the file.
A Z-Depth pass on the second pass allowed for adjusting Hue, Saturation or blur based on distance quickly with this channel provided as well to the vendor.
This ambient Screen grab render shows the base model and scene as built, as well as the Image I was tasked with matching up to.
The 3/4 shot show the full scene including the bust for placement and shadows as well as the lighting and simplicity of a scene with over 6000 separate parts all linked so I could post each Scorpion individually to match the location it rested upon.
A side-by-side shot of the Base Scorpion model as the base Quad model on the Left, as well as subdivided on the right.
Penny Dreadful 2014-Key Art Finish
of 3D Scorpion Necklace Design and Illustration.
Client: Showtime via Leroy and Rose.
Creative Direction: Melchior Lamy.
Project Date: December 2013.
Back in December I was given an opportunity to help out with Showtimes new cable series Penny Dreadful on the Key Art for one of my clients Leroy and Rose. I was asked to assit in 3D with the creation of a Lace-Necklace made out of small black Scorpions as a Virtual Photo shoot.
I did a test image to show the look and proceeded to create two version of the necklace design.
I had built out a 3D Scorpion a decade ago for Scorpion King, not as a quad model, so sometime last year I rebuilt a new one all in subdivision for a potential Vodka client in Belgium that fell thru so I had it ready to go for this gig.
I developed the Sub-surface shader as the translucence found in scorpions would help blend this into the skin on the bust you would see thru in the thinner parts of the legs etc.
Once approved I proceeded to render the finals out in multiple passes with light and dark materials to paint thru, as well as a Matte shadow to drop right over the principal photography.
What a FUN concept to work on, and it finished.