Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Project Review: 1937 Sterling-J: Reconstruction via 3D Printing 2014-15-PART I

 The last version I built included a newly built cab, as the original 3D scan was very rough reflecting the part is currently un-restored. I did a paint test to check the surfaces.

The main progress work is all rendered in an ambient shader to show just surfaces. A 3/4 front low angle.

A birds eye render over the hood of the 1937 Sterling-J.

A front view elevated as well showing the grill as it flows into the sides.

A 3/4 back shot of the cab[ original rough with my new built 3D]

A lower height front view of the grill.

A close up on the hood side and emblem details.

The body hood would be cast in steel as the original via a lost-wax 3D-Print.

The nose.

My favoirite area is whre the 'jewelry' is, the little chrome details.

The final build with the new cab. 
 Here is a color test with the OG scanned Cab[ rougher shape]

Project Review
1937 Sterling-J
Reconstruction via 3D Printing 
2014-15-PART I

Client Roger Dean.
Creative Direction: Roger Dean and build team.
Project Date(s) Feb 2014 thru the present[ ongoing]

I have been doing more and more 3D Printing design work, as I was trained in Industrial Design Automotive at Art Center, so naturally a project like this is a dream one, that comes around only a few times in ones career.

As an avid VW and vintage Porsche fan, I was contacted by Roger Dean about a Speedster model I had made[here], and we proceeded to discuss the new technology and use of 3D Printing in the building of classic as well as custom automotive design.

Roger helped get the newly made Hebmüller molds in Germany back, and has had many a Vintage VW grace the pages of Hot VW's over the years, and apart from secret work in that arena, he had this Sterling J project on deck to begin with.

His client owns dozens of Sterling's, an early American Semi Truck Marque, however the beautiful bodywork and Airflow grills are all destroyed and only exist in pictures. 

He has just the cab, so we started by having Scan-Site do a full point cloud scan of the existing cab to match the virtual build to match, and I built around that.

I proceeded to create all the parts needed for this 1937 Sterling Model J to be printed in 3D to build the buck out as well as to cast the aluminum parts as needed.

I've delivered the STL[ stereolithography] 3D Print files and they will be beginning with a 1/5th scale model begin with prior to the full size buck.

I will have more posts covering the progress of this first Sterling truck, so check back.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment