Thursday, February 5, 2015

3D Stock Model Build Review: Art Lamp-Built and Prepared for online sales 2003.

A Stock 3D model of an Architectural Art Lamp, typical to any Drafting Table. I built this back in 2003 while at BLT Communications to sell online.

A Fully textured and rendered shot of the assembled Art Lamp to show surfacing.
 
A High level of detail was added to each part with part lines, filets and chamfers and all parts are easy to find and work with.

 A close-up Virtual Photoshoot image of the Lamp shade and attachment via some aluminum rivets.

The elbow design was taken directly from my own lamp I used while at Art Center.

 My actual Drafting Lamp was Red so I used that as a place to start with Pre-Viz.

 The Lower base clamp area with removable plastic end parts here in a polygon wireframe render.

The Rendered out base clamp on this stock 3D Art Lamp Model I built.

 Underneath the only part I embellished was the light bulb and did a bit of a vintage take with the nipple top hand-blown glass look to the light.

Rendered out with the textures on the Light bulb and two part shade.

 A back side shot on the elbow details with the c power cored and rubber scrub protectors for the square tube feed thru.

 A bit of Depth of Field [DOF ]added to this Close-UP Virtual Shot.

 A Worms -Eye view of the Geometry with the base part built as Quad that was Booleaned  traditionally.

 Rendered out in 3D fully textured with GI and some DOF.


An exploded parts view as a typical Parts Illustration of the Art Lamp.


A wireframe parts render exploded out identifying the various object sets.


3D Stock Model Build Review
Art Lamp: Built and Prepared for online sales 2003.

Client: BLT Communications for Stock 3D Model Sales.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date: August 2003.

In '03 I was still in-house at BLT Communications running the 3D Design Department, and I was proposing to the owners that we should sell our 3D models online as stock 3D assets on sites like TurboSquid. I regularly built out highly detailed 3D Models for various projects, so this was a simple and logical way to create a revenue stream from already built objects.

I love to build as a trained Industrial Designer, and I love doing all the micro details found on standard objects. For my generation of artists we did mostly sketching rather than Computer work while training at Art Center, so the Architectural Table Lamp was standard fare for anyone who designed, so I built out this prop to use in house, and eventually sell online.

This model was never posted, as BLT did not get into online 3D model sales.

I will continue showcasing many of the stock 3D models I have from various companys I have prepared them for in future posts, so enjoy!


Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment